Friday, September 19, 2008

Veggie lasagna

I make lasagna semi-regularly, and I don't work with a recipe. The basic premise is pretty easy, if you aren't too worried about being exact. You have noodles, a ricotta mixture, marinara sauce, and mozzarella cheese. If you grew up with a crazy amazing family recipe for lasagna that needs to be followed exactly, please stop reading (and email me the recipe).

Feeling the need for more veggies in our kitchen, I started by grating (in the food processor) and sauteeing some zucchini and carrots along with chopped onions and garlic.

DSC0421

While the veggies cooked, the noodles boiled, and I mixed up the ricotta. I use a few cups of ricotta along with two eggs, and add in some fresh chopped basil, salt and pepper.

DSC0427

Once everything is ready, I just start layering. A thin layer of sauce, followed by noodles, ricotta, and veggies. This time I managed to get two full layers in before the pan started to overflow. I added a final layer of noodles and sauce on top and then finished off with a small amount of fresh mozzarella.

DSC0433

Then it's into the oven at 375F for an hour or so. I will say that lasagna isn't a walk in the park for a weeknight dinner because there are too many components. I was a little rushed (and hungry) as I put this one together, which resulted in a lot of dishes and a bit of stress. I think in the future I'll try to remember to reserve it for a leisurely Saturday prep.

6 comments:

  1. lasagna is usually such a heavy dish, but with all the grated veggies, this seems surprisingly light (but with all the flavor).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so saving this and making it this weekend...thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum, gonna make that tonight! love your photos.
    especially the one in the oven, makes me feel the heat and smell the smell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmmm, now I'm in the mood for lasagna! Thanks for the dinner idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never cooked the lasagna noodles just pop them out of the box but cover the lasagna pan snuggly with foil and bake for an hour and a half. Got this tip from my grandmother many years ago. It works. Love your blog. Very cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mori-Nu tofu box.

    Eggs, cheese, veggies, hunh?

    ReplyDelete

Trying captchas this time - better or worse than having to log in to comment? Let me know! Sorry for all the hoops but the spam has been terrible lately!